Pretty women wonder , where my secret lies… *
What’s the secret to perfect skin? I am often asked – what products I use… what’s my beauty regime… what kind of diet I follow… what’s my secret… If I had a quid for each time I was asked one of these questions, I would have enough to get rid of the stretch marks on my bum at one of those a nice clinics in Brazil.
I don’t have a big head. I have amazing skin. It has a great tone – more so in the summer and it is smooth most of the time. I only have pimples during witching season.So, how can I help you? We all know what we should be doing – drinking lots of water, eating a balanced diet with lots of fresh fruit and veg, exercising regularly blah blah blah… I would suggest you find a beauty regime that works for you with the right products for your skin type. If you don’t know your skin type, pop into a store – Boots for example and ask for advice from a brand you trust. Or do this Wiki Skin Type Test.
Don’t believe the hype – every brand ambassador is going to have a product that is made just for you, that is going to fix everything and make you look like a girl on a billboard. Maybe ask for a sample before you dive in. It was Lancome that trapped me in Selfridges – I changed my whole regime to include cleanser, toner, eye cream, moisturiser etc. I had a pretty nasty reaction where my skin peeled off around my eyes and I looked like a panda.
I listen to advice, sometimes I try new things but more often that not, I go back to basics. Sometimes I make my own face masks with left over banana or avocado, honey, brown sugar and a bit of argan oil. I choose not to use anti ageing products, though they are promoted for women once they hit their early 20’s!!! I dunno, maybe I’m in denial but I’m not ready to be shopping in the wrinkly section yet. At 35 I keep looking at the anti-aging products then putting them back because dammit I am not ready to go there.
So here you go – my secrets revealed!!
I do the following:
- Use simple products
- Cleanse my skin every morning and every night
- Moisturise after cleansing
- Wear uva/uvb protection daily, all year round
- Exfoliate my face once a week, twice in the summer
- INCLUDE MY NECK. How many women have you seen with young face and old necks…
- Exfoliate my body once a week – especially if I have bothered to shave
- Carry a hand cream in my bag!! Moisturise after each wash. See Dr Organic below.
- Eat a lot of fruit and veg
- I’m lucky enough to not need to wear foundation but never go to sleep with make up on (your skin is doing a big fixer at night)
- Sleep. Lots.
- Sweat it out – physical activity or steam
- The occasional blackheads are pulled out with Bioré Strips – though not when my skin is sensitive – they can take a layer off!
- Wear shades in the summer – they stop you from squinting!!
- When I was unfortunate enough to be in the path of a cigarette wielding lady and she burnt my face, I applied Bio Oil to it as soon as it healed. Et Voila! No scar.
Here’s what I don’t do:
- Wash my face (I have normal/dry skin)
- Pick at spots
I’m embarrassed to say that I drink little water. I hardly ever feel thirsty, it’s bizarre. I do however, drink herbal teas (Dr Stuart do a skin purify) and I like to make my own smoothies.
I recently downloaded a free app that reminded me to drink water, I was constantly pissing, it got on my nerves and I deleted it. Surely all that pissing flushes out stuff the body needs too… I recently spoke to a dermatologist who told me there is nothing in the 8 glasses a day recommended. So I’m back to drinking when I want to.
My Favourite Products. When I originally did this post. I was using (and had been doing so for more than 10 years):
- Bioderma Solution Micellaire really gentle, removes make up, no rinsing necessary
- Body Shop Vitamin C Daily Moisturiser SPF 30, so I don’t have to think about sun protection
- Body Shop Vitamin E Nourishing Night Cream
- Body Shop Tea Tree Blemish Gel for the occasional pimple
- Chanel Gommage Microperlé Éclat for exfoliation
As part of my Endo change I have swapped out a few things, moving closer to natural products:
- Dr Organic products have replaced my night moisturiser. I change between the Vitamin E, Olive Oil and Argan oil. I also use their hand creams; hemp and rose.
- Green People’s Day Moisturiser with SPF 15
- Green People’s Fruit Face Scrub
Yes, yes, I know I’m not a professional skin care analysing dermatologist so I could be talking crap. I did see a beautician once though, after she finished complimenting me and I’d told her my routine she was horrified that I did not cleanse AND tone and that I sometimes use my night cream in the day during winter. I gave her sulky sideways glances for the rest of the session.
One thing I cannot help you with is your genes. My mother has wonderful skin and I am very grateful that she has given it to me. Mumma does not use anti ageing creams yet, I cannot reveal her age for fear of a reprimand but she has no wrinkles.
So there you are, no big secrets really. You could copy my regime and have an awful time or maybe some of my tips will help. It’s about finding what’s good for you and giving your skin a good chance to look its best.
*Phenomenal Woman, Dr Maya Angelou